You can click on many of the titles to see the books listed at Christian Book Distributors. On this web site, you can click links to view the table of contents and sample chapters.
SPIRITUAL LIFE FOR TEENS AND PARENTS
- Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion Against Low Expectations / Alex & Brett Harris creators of the challenging Christian teen blog www.therebelution.com/.
- Growing Up Christian: Have You Taken Over Ownership of Your Relationship with God? / Karl Graustein & Mark Jacobsen / P & R Publishing
- One Heartbeat Away: Your Journey into Eternity / Mark Cahill / an evangelistic book with reasons to believe and help in sharing faith. Free copy at www.oneheartbeataway.org/.
- Reaping the Harvest: The Bounty of Abundant-Life Homeschooling / Diana Waring
- Girl Talk: Mother-Daughter Conversations on Biblical Womanhood/ Carolyn Mahaney
- Why We're Not Emergent (By Two Guys Who Should Be) / Kevin DeYoung and Ted Kluck
KNOWLES GIRLS’ TOP PICKS OF LITERATURE
(by Mary, Julia, Rachel, Joanna, and Lydia Knowles)
- The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy– immediate top pick of 3 of the girls! It’s a historical adventure of the French Revolution
- To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee – racism and law in the south – a high school classic!
- The Screwtape Letters by C.S. Lewis – ironic correspondence between two demons who are strategizing on how to deceive and distract Christians – get the Progeny Press study guide
- The Hiding Place by Corrie TenBoom – true story of a Christian family hiding Jews in the holocaust at great personal cost – watch the DVD after you read the book!
- Cheaper by the Dozen and Belles on Their Toes by Frank B. Gilbreth – true stories of a family with 12 kids (there may be some things unsuitable for younger readers – I can’t remember)
- The Giver by Lois Lowry -- futuristic novel usually assigned for younger students but all of my girls listed it AND it addresses some issues that I think are more suitable for high school anyway
- If I Perish by Esther Ahn Kim – true story of one Christian woman’s persecution in Korea
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen – classic Brit lit, get the Progeny Press study guide
- The House of Winslow series by Gilbert Morris – Christian historical fiction series of 50 books covering one family line from Mayflower to modern times, lighter reading
- Cry, The Beloved Country by Alan Paton – for mature readers, set in pre-apartheid South Africa, contains violence and some sexual references, also moves slowly. That said, it is an excellent, poetic, thought-provoking, classic book about a godly black pastor and his wayward son. This book made a huge difference in raising public awareness and bringing an end to apartheid. Watch movie!
LITERATURE & READING LISTS
- BJU Press or A Beka literature anthologies don’t provide entire books, but give a variety of selections for American and World Literature
- Meredith Curtis’s high school and adult reading list: www.joyfulandsuccessfulhomeschooling.com/pdfs/AdultReaders.pdf
- Charlotte Mason and classical approach reading list and free e-books www.amblesideonline.org/
- Download free Christian classics on-line at the Christian Classics Ethereal Library www.ccel.org/.
WHERE TO BUY BOOKS?
BRIGHTLIGHT BOOKS is a great local place to buy or sell (for cash or double store credit) used home school curriculum, literature, and Christian books. Address: 1099 SR 436 in Casselberry Phone: 407-622-6657.
Three on-line Christian curriculum resources that have terrific selection and prices!
FINALLY, A FEW MORE LITTLE QUOTES TO AMUSE AND INSPIRE…
♥ “Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog, it’s too dark to read.” Groucho Marx
♥ “The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can’t read them.” Mark Twain
♥ “When I get a little money, I buy books; and if any is left, I buy food and clothes.” Erasmus